Updated: Jan 15
Yoga Pose of the week
Welcome to Yoga Pose of the Week.
This week we are focusing on One-Legged Pigeon Pose and its benefits.
Pose type: Hip Opener and Back Bend
Name: Ardha Kapotasana or One-legged Pigeon Pose
A wonderful pose for beginners
This posture stretches the hips and groin. It is a great posture to practice to relieve back pain, because it reduces stiffness in the lower back, and helps to create space in the hips.
Lengthens the hip flexor
Reduces stiffness in the shoulder blades and arthritis
Stretches the thighs, glutes and piriformis muscles
Relieves pain in the Lower back
Extends the groin and psoas
Helps relieve menstrual pain
If your knee hurts, place a rolled hand towel behind it. If that does not help come out of the pose immediately.
To Access this Pose:
1. Starting from kneeling on all fours.
2. Bring your right foot between your hands.
Note: You may rest your hands on some yoga blocks and blanket for assistance.
3. Move your right foot to the left, your calf to the floor, and your right hip to the floor. If your right hip does not reach the floor, place a folded blanket or yoga block under it.
4. Align your right foot with your left front hip bone and lie down so your hip bone is on your heel or keep your calf perpendicular to your body.
Note: If your knee hurts, place a rolled hand towel behind it. If that does not help come out of the pose immediately.
5. Remember to breathe. You can stay in this posture as long as you like. Release and repeat on your left side.
In order to get here, you need a steady and consistent practice. If you slide over to the next image. You will see that my downward facing dog needed a lot of work. Back when I started my practice in 2014 I had tight hamstrings amongst other things. Over time I saw improvements and now this is where I am today.
If you need some extra encouragement to start your journey, become a member today to get access to free resources, videos, and more.
You do not need to start your journey on your own. Practice with me at your own pace.
About the Author:
Hey, Kenya here your new yoga bestie! Allow me to introduce myself. I am a Certified Yoga Coach who loves helping busy moms to create more balance in their lives while reducing stress by practicing yoga on and off the mat. In addition to raising two kids, I am also a Course Creator, Author and Podcast host of "From My Mat to Yours" (available anywhere you listen to your podcast) Want to work with me? Click here to check out how.